Kilbride Search 20/05/14
- Call Outs
- 24th May 2014
- On Tuesday, May 20th at approximately 20.30 Mountain Rescue were made aware of a 76 year old man who had been reported missing. The Gardai had tasked us with assisting in the search for the man who had last been seen near Kilbride Army Camp in Wicklow on Sunday.
- Members of the Glen of Imaal Red Cross Mountain Rescue Team and Dublin & Wicklow Mountain Rescue Team searched in the area close to where the missing mans car had been located. The Search & Rescue Dogs Association were also involved but the initial search was unsuccessful and was postponed late on Tuesday night. Further search planning was undertaken and the search was rescheduled for first thing on Wednesday.
- On Wednesday, May 21st the search was resumed in earnest with search teams once again concentrating their efforts near where the man’s vehicle had been located. The Coast Guard S92 Helicopter, The Gardai and the Civil Defence were also involved during the second day of searching.
- Much of the area was densely forested and other rescue teams were asked to go on standby in the event that the search needed to be extended. Sadly though, the man’s remains were located and the search was eventually stood down at approximately 19.53.
- Thanks to all those who responded and to all agencies involved.
- The Mountain Rescue teams involved would like to offer their sincere condolences to the family on their tragic loss.