Moonlight Challenge 2014
- 25th July 2014
- The Glen of Imaal Red Cross Mountain Rescue Team are very pleased to announce that registration for Moonlight Challenge 2014, which takes place on the 8th of November, is now OPEN!
- The Moonlight Challenge is an invigorating walking/running adventure through some of the most spectacular scenery of the Wicklow Mountains. The route is approx.27km and the event takes place under a full moon, cloud willing!
- The Moonlight Challenge is the main fundraising event for the Glen of Imaal Red Cross Mountain Rescue Team. It was brought into being in 2010 to assist in raising sponsorship to help construct our Mountain Rescue Base which was completed in 2012. Following on from this, the successful Moonlight Challenge events of 2012 and 2013 helped secure a new mobile command vehicle. Both of these have been significant investments and have been made possible by the enthusiasm and dedication of our Challenge participants.
- The Glen of Imaal Mountain Rescue Team, (The Glen Team), is a voluntary Mountain Search and Rescue Team. We are a unit of the Irish Red Cross Society and a designated 999 emergency resource. Volunteers give their time freely and are available 24/7 365 days of the year, with absolutely no personal recompense. Fundraising takes up a lot of our time and is imperative in order to keep our operation going and our volunteers equipped to deal with all that the mountain and outdoor environs throw at them on a call out.
- Last year the team dealt with a total of 111 incidents which was without doubt our busiest year on record and required a lot of energy from our team to deal with such demand on our resources. Obviously with such demands, the costs for the Team in terms of constant equipment maintenance, replacement and ongoing training are significant. This is why the Moonlight Challenge is such an important event to us and why YOUR participation is so appreciated by all of us in the Glen Team. We hope you realise how thankful we are to you for your ongoing support.
- If you enjoy a challenge this event could be for you! Not only is the event for an extremely good cause, but it is an exciting event, with a new route each year and lots of entertainment and fun filled events along the way! So why not click on www.moonlightchallenge.com or www.wmr.ie and remember the Team will be out on the night to cheer you on all the way to the finish line where a hot meal and warm hospitality will await you.
- Thank you for your continued support.